Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Vertical Storage: What a difference!

I will say it again and again: Use vertical storage as often as you can. The benefits are amazing!

Let me share some simple examples of using rows and vertical stacking which can tremendously minimize messes, increase the speed in which you can retrieve an item, and provide a greatly increased visual "read" of what you have in storage.

The Freezer

Our deep freeze lives up to its name. It's square and deep. It's like having a short refrigerator box for a freezer. If you're not over 5 feet tall, you'll never be able to bend down into the cavity and retrieve anything. So take a look at how I managed to keep things visual, accessible and grouped.

  • Meats are stacked on end with like-kinds together. I can tell from the top end of each meat package if it's chicken, beef, turkey or what kind of cut.
  • A loaf of bread is placed standing on its end with the plastic end up for easy grasping.
  • Bags of frozen vegetables are stacked in their groups of like-kind, on their sides so I can flip through them, like I'm at a record store (Boy, did I just give away my  age!).
  • Frozen soups and my husband's red sauce are in disposable containers which stack easily.
  • Even a package of English muffins sits on its side so the package label can be easily read by the frigid explorer.
All in a Row
Another method I've found effective for storage is the "front to back" method of like kinds and duplicate products. For instance,
canned goods, condiments, bottled beverages, bath products, can normally be lined up in rows so "what's in front is what's behind." This gives you a quick "read" on your stock, which products seem to be more popular with your family and what needs to be added to the shopping list today!
(c) 2009 Sheri Smith Bertolini

1 comment:

  1. I got behind on my reading! This is just unbelievable! Vertical storage... what a huge DUH and I never thought to do that with my deep freeze. Thanks for all the amaaaazing tips!!!

    ReplyDelete