Thursday, August 11, 2011

Staying on Top of Technology

If you're like me, you're saying, "Yeah, like that's even possible!" Perhaps knowing all the latest technology as it is released is impossible, but the trickle down of what is practical, helpful, and can be implemented into our lives is definitely manageable.

The key is: Are you willing to keep learning?

I've just started finding out how powerful Microsoft Outlook is... er... has always been. I mean it was powerful for the past 6 years that I've been using it. But I'd never explored the Task List function. I didn't know about Distribution Lists in the Contacts. And now that I'm exploring webinars for the first time (and I'm way behind there too), I'm learning all the functions available for showing Powerpoint and having surveys, tests, paid registrations... all managed by the technology.

Sigh. Yes, it's daunting. Yes, it's a lot to know and learn. But focus on where you find yourself repeating tasks over and over again. Your areas of repetition are the areas where you can probably save time with technology. If you have three versions of calendars, you need a single source that is your master calendar. It either needs to "speak" to your other calendars and keep them updated, or needs to be mobile and with you always.

Talk to young people. Talk to business women on the go. Find out from your successful, busy people what they're using to help them. Find out what works.

In technology, we're all students, all the time!


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

No comments:

Post a Comment