Thursday, September 8, 2011

Birthday Giving

Years ago, my good friend Melissa gathered several of us around a table at a local restaurant to help her celebrate her birthday. She did something at that dinner that I've never forgotten.

Her greatest blessing was not receiving gifts from us, but giving gifts to us. That's how she wanted to celebrate her birthday. So she intentionally selected people to surround her table who had impacted her life or been a blessing to her at some stage of her life. A former coach and teacher, friends from church, mentors, etc. Most of us knew each other, but she gave each of us a gift and took the time to work her way around the table and thank each of us for the part we'd played in investing in her life.

Sometimes I get accused of being a poor receiver. I don't mind receiving... I actually enjoy it quite a bit. But I also love giving. Celebration just isn't the same unless I'm able to give in some way in the middle of it--that's part of the celebration!

So I'm thinking up ways to give on this landmark birthday. Be on the lookout... I'm looking for ways to bless you guys!


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

No comments:

Post a Comment