Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Are Your Goals Measurable?

Discouraged? Maybe not discouraged, but frustrated? I have been. There seems to be an ever-present list which floats over my head reminding me of all the things I desire to improve about myself.

I want to...
  • ...learn to cook a greater variety of healthy dinners for my family.
  • ...exercise more consistently.
  • ...increase my income.
  • ...improve my housecleaning.
  • ...finish my book.
  • ...develop better business habits.
  • ...increase my exposure as an organizer.
  • ...broaden my sources of income.
Okay, so maybe the list isn't so little. The thing is, it's always there--never growing any shorter in length, flapping gently in the breeze overhead as I dash through the day.

One frustration is that I like lists. I like to check things off my lists. I derive great satisfaction from completed tasks. And the frustration I suffer is actually created by the nature of my list.

Anytime you endeavor to improve something, it is, by nature, an on-going process. You can't necessarily check it off!  "Develop," "increase," and "broaden" are not words that necessarily lead to completion. Finish my book? I can do that and know when it's finished. I can record that I exercised three times this week instead of twice (or skipped it entirely). Writing down the days I exercised is a measurable task and a quantifiable result.

If you find yourself frustrated by your list, take a look at it again. How many of your items are measurable? Maybe your list needs a little editing so you can actually celebrate some success!

(c) 2010 Sheri Smith Bertolini

No comments:

Post a Comment