Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Small Steps

June 1st, 5:00 a.m. Alarm goes off and I sigh. Here I go.

Getting up at 5:00 is normal for me. That's when I work out. But today I've added a new element. Today I start training for a 5K. I've recently lost 27 pounds and wanted to run again after losing weight.

So today, after consulting Jeff Galloway's training schedule, I learned that I only needed to run for 10 minutes during my walking routine today. Easy. I'm relieved.

The joke's on me! About every 2-3 minutes, I would jog for a minute. Once I reached my total of ten minutes of jogging, I just walked the rest of my 45-minute route. But I am so sore!

Friends at work who run half-marathons were very encouraging. They've done this before. They started small, too, a few minutes at a time. So my training has begun.

Change is an interruption to routine. Inserting any intentional change makes you "sore." But inserting small changes toward a larger goal are tolerable. My muscles are sore, but tomorrow, I go back to my normal workout, then insert the running again the next day. Rest, resistance, rest, resistance. My muscles will build and tone; I'll gain strength.

What large goals do you have right now? Break down your pursuit into small changes you can insert into your current routine. You may feel "sore" but you'll build strength and get closer to your goal!


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

No comments:

Post a Comment