Saturday, July 30, 2011

Countdown

I like countdowns. They're exciting. When I was getting married, I had a countdown timer on my computer that constantly showed how many days, hours, minutes until my wedding. It was fun for a while, then it got really annoying because I had so much to do and it was getting hard to wait.

I can't wait until my 50th birthday in September. I intend to thoroughly enjoy this one. But I don't look forward to the arrival of my youngest's departure to college in three weeks. Not so excited about that countdown.

Countdowns bring us closer to both joy and pain. I enjoy the anticipation of reward and fun times. But I also appreciate the reality check of "don't waste this moment" as I countdown toward pain.

The countdowns that completely frustrate me are the ones that don't exist. Like the launching of my book. I've been working on it for over two years and still don't have a launch date due to funding and just getting all the marketing details worked out. It takes time. I want to do it right. So "no countdown" continues until I send it to a printer. Erg.

I like countdowns that are definitive. Then you know something is going to happen when you get to "3, 2, 1 . . . "

What are you counting down?


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sheri -- We have so much in common (including the spelling of our names) :) I turn 50 in September as well -- my book is "scheduled" to be through the editing stage on my 50th 9/26 -- I love your posts.

    Have a blessed countdown to ... whatever God has for you ;)

    Sheri Geyer

    ReplyDelete