Monday, August 1, 2011

Energy Schedule

A new approach to time management... schedule your energy!
Look at your day. When are you naturally the most energetic and "on"? Plan your day so that activities which require your energy occur during those times. It's not always possible, I know, but as much as possible, if you're a morning person, do your writing, creating, planning in the morning hour. If you turn on at night, do your thinking and planning time after kids go to bed.

If you know you're completely brain-dead after 6 p.m., do cleaning and mindless tasks like folding laundry when you have no brain left. If you get a burst during the middle of the morning, use that time to exercise. You get the idea. Determine what costs you the most brain and physical energy and target your high-level times.

Jon Acuff advises a time audit. Track where you spend your time. But also note your energy lows and highs during the week. You'll learn more about where you are wasting time, have pockets of time for use, and have high or low energy to tackle various activities during those times.

I'm sitting here after an hour's workout, eating my breakfast, writing this blog at 6:42 a.m. I got up at 5:00. Why? It's my best time! (Crazy, I know!)

What's your best time?


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

1 comment:

  1. I found a 15 min. increment time log form online. It was very helpful when I did a time audit. Not sure where, so google it.

    My biggest amazement was that I was grossly underestimating how long the simple tasks were taking. Simple didn't always equal quick.

    And, the number of bunny trails were down right embarrassing. The time log did help me police those for a few weeks and got me more disciplined.

    ReplyDelete