Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crossed a Line

I crossed a line yesterday. You know those rules that we all carry around in our head and our society? Well, I definitely crossed one yesterday. But it worked.

Living out of the box is scary. I had given a keepsake to a friend years ago. At the time, I had no cash and wanted to offer a meaningful gift for a significant accomplishment she had just achieved. The gift was a little pearl on a chain that my Granny had given me. This friend was a close a family to me. I wanted her to know how her accomplishment was a treasure that would bless others for years, the same way my Granny gave me the treasure of the little pearl.

Years later, I regretted letting go of my keepsake. What could I do? Ask for a gift to be returned? That's taboo. That's crossing a line. That's offensive.

I asked.

In a gut-wrenching decision, I dared trust the strength of our friendship enough to risk offense, offering her the option to say no. The phrase "Indian-giver" passed through my mind more than once, as I waited for her reply.

Her response was so gracious, I have more respect for her now than ever. She said the heart of my gift was more important to her than the token itself. It served its purpose years ago and was a blessing to her then. And now she is happy to return the necklace back to me so I may hand it down to my stepdaughter, keeping it in the family, as it should be. What a class act.

Lines can be crossed. You can live out of the box and thrive. Know your heart. Know your relationships well enough to know if you can risk "crossing a line." Pay attention to the intent behind your own actions, and listen with your heart when observing the actions of others.

You might find a pearl in the process.


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

No comments:

Post a Comment