Saturday, July 9, 2011

Acknowledgement

Having a sensitive nature, I'm probably overly sensitive about this topic. Then again, I've listened to my husband expound on it in reference to his business relationships.

Whether personal or business, acknowledgement is a big deal. From "Got your email. Thanks" to "Thank you--your package arrived earlier today," it's great to just use 4-7 words to let someone know that their message was received. I'll get an email from a family member and get busy and not respond right away because they're sharing a video or a funny cartoon. I know that I have some time to respond and still be considerate.

But when a message goes ignored, it sends a negative message to its sender. I often wonder if my mail or package or email was received. Just a quick "Got it. Back in a bit" is so helpful. I know I appreciate the consideration.

Acknowledge that you heard what someone just said. Recognize the actions or inquiries of your colleagues. Let people know that they matter, that you received their message. Even if you need some time to process or think about your response, offer the consideration of acknowledgement--let them know you're going to get back to them.

Speaking of: Thanks, Mom and Dad! Got your anniversary card and gift today!


(c) 2011 Sheri Smith Bertolini

No comments:

Post a Comment